Willie Nelson to release 'Remember Me, Vol 1' November 21
By: Roughstock Staff
Elegant and enduring endeavors are often the simplest, and so it is with Remember Me, Vol. 1 as one of America's most revered country music icons sings a collection of the genre's most definitive songs. Willie Nelson hand-picked the collection's 14 songs from among the top Billboard hits of the last 70 years.
Artists and songwriters reflected in Nelson's versions of their songs include Ernest Tubb, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Rosemary Clooney, Porter Wagoner and Ray Price. The first volume, out Nov. 21, is drawn from Nelson's sessions with longtime friend and producer James Stroud, which yielded more than 30 songs. Remember Me, Vol. 2 is scheduled to be released next year.
In addition to Nelson's incomparable vocal stylings, each track benefits from the work of Nashville's top musicians in a band that features Eddie Bayers (drums), David Hungate (bass), Brent Mason (electric guitar), Biff Watson (acoustic guitar), Mickey Raphael (harmonica), Sonny Garrish (steel guitar), John Hobbs (piano/keyboards), Aubrey Haynie (fiddle/mandolin) and Wes Hightower and Cindy Walker (background vocals). Jerry Puckett and Chris Collins also guest on the sessions.
Remember Me, Vol. 1 track list, with each song's hit-making artist, year and peak Billboard position in parentheses:
1. Remember Me (Ernest Tubb, 1950, No. 5 Country)
2. Sixteen Tons (Tennessee Ernie Ford, 1955, No. 1 Country & Pop)
3. Why Baby Why (George Jones, 1955, No. 4 Country)
4. Today I Started Loving You Again (Merle Haggard, 1970)
5. I'm Movin' On (Hank Snow, 1950, No. 1 Country)
6. That Just About Does It (Vern Gosdin, 1989, No. 4 Country)
7. This Old House (Rosemary Clooney, 1954, No. 1 Pop)
8. Sunday Morning Coming Down (Johnny Cash, 1970, No. 1 Country)
9. Smoke That Cigarette (Tex Williams, 1947, No. 1 Country)
10. Slowly (Webb Pierce, 1954, No. 1 Country)
11. A Satisfied Mind (Porter Wagoner, 1955, No. 1 Country)
12. Roly Poly (Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys, 1946, No. 3 Country)
13. Release Me (Ray Price, 1954, No. 6 Country)
14. Ramblin' Fever (Merle Haggard, 1977, No. 2 Country)
*15. More And More (Webb Pierce, 1954, No. 1 Country) *iTunes exclusive